In human-animal learning similarities: On Language Log, a wrap up of relevant background to this finding: Researchers who focus on infant language and those who specialize in birdsong have teamed up in a new study suggesting that learning the transitions between syllables — from “da” to “do” and “do” to “da” — is the crucial bottleneck between babbling and speaking.
In geology and cool videos: What lava looks like when poured over ice.
In professional science that sounds temptingly DIY: Scientists use plastic wrap to make a wall “sonically invisible.”
In the annals of Shakespeare teachers getting full authority over human genome research grants (not really, but it's an amusing thought): Shall I Encode Thee In DNA? Sonnets Stored On Double Helix.
And, finally, this one isn't new but I came across it. I especially like the one about Pavlov: Salon's Ten Nerdiest Jokes of All Time.
No comments:
Post a Comment